Monday, January 23, 2006

Its time to let go

Nope, this is not some tragic love story. Just an example of how hard it is to let go of something that we’ve grown fond of. This is a story of my beloved maid. Yes, I don’t mind calling her beloved because she is close to me and the family. You see, I’m having a hard time believing that she is leaving soon. About 3 more weeks to go before she leaves us for good. *C* has only been with us for 3 years but we’ve all grown so attached to her. I couldn’t ask for a better maid.

With all the issues or problems we hear about maids nowadays, we would be very lucky to get a maid who we can trust and depend on. So now when I’ve found one, its just so hard to let her go. I know she doesn’t want to leave but she has no choice because of the ultimatum given by the husband. "Kalau kamu tak balik, aku cari perempuan lain". *Sigh*. But I cannot be selfish. This is something she has to sort out with her husband and I don’t want us to be the reason if something bad happened to their marriage.

*C* took care of D* since she was 2 months old. They have a special bond and I know D* loves her very much. I remembered when I first took *C*, I was adamant that no way will I allow a maid to be close to my daughter. Of course there was the fear that my baby would love the maid more than me. I started off wanting to do everything for D* which added to more stress, pain and pressure especially when I got back to work. I felt it was like a competition..."who does D* love the most?". But slowly, I realised that D*’s feelings for me would never change. Sure, they are close but D* still jumps with joy everytime I come back from work. And she still cries for me...so I guess thats evidence to show that things don’t change. No one can separate the mother-daughter bond.

Some people may say, don’t simply trust your maid. I don’t simply trust her...She’s earned the right to be trusted. We treat her like one of the family. Maybe thats why we get along so well with each other. I’m not a fussy employer and there was never the need to tell her off. I don’t know how she manages to do all these good things. She doesn’t need to be told what to do, she’s very hardworking, she’s soft-spoken, kind-hearted and what I love most about her is that she is sooo patient.....soooo patient with the noti, noti little D*. I have to admit I sometimes just give up when D* starts getting hyper-active...and as always, C* is ready to the rescue.

My utmost fear right now is whether D* will be ok when *C* is gone. We have started telling her that *C* is leaving but we’re not sure whether she understands. The other day *C* told her "D*, Kak *C* nak balik tau..". D* replied "sorry *C*..I’m sorry *C*". I guess she thought *C* meant if she was naughty again, *C* would go back. Kesian pulak...

So now we are busy looking out for a new maid. But its kind of hard because we keep comparing back to *C*. Many questions comes to mind...Will she be as good as *C*? Can she get along well with D*? I guess we can’t be too sure kan? I've been lucky all this while and now I just have to be prepared for any problems that may come. Its one of those risks I have to take.