Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Take it slow...

I left the office quite early yesterday and arrived home to an empty apartment. It was 6.15pm and I knew my daughter, D* and the maid were at the playground. So I thought I’d go and check what she’s up to.

I wanted to surprise her so I just looked from afar. There she was at the swings section, pushing this boy on a swing. They took turns doing this and all the time were laughing and giggling and I thought "wow..she’s really having fun with this boy".

After about 10 minutes, D* looked up and saw me. I waved, she smiled, then ran towards me screaming "mamaaaaaaaa....mamaaaa.. mamaaaaaaa". My heart just melted and I have to tell you, that is truly one of the best moments in life. Anyway, while I was hugging and kissing her, I heard from a distance a boy’s voice shouting "D*, D*, D*". I didnt even have time to look where the voice was coming from because all of a sudden, the boy was already in front of me and gave the biggest grin....

Me: Ni siapa, D*?
D*: Abil
Me: Kawan D* ke?
D*: Smiled and nodded her head

My maid arrived shortly and said "Ni Nabil kak, dia suka main dengan D*. Kami selalu usik dia pacar D*". What? Pacar? No...no...no..Too young for a pacar, man........My mind started to wonder and went into automatic protective mode..who is this cheeky little boy trying to get close to my daughter?? What are his intentions? Whats his family background?

Hehe..I know, I know... they’re just friends but its kind of weird seeing how close she is with this boy. Though in some ways, it does look kind of cute. *sigh* My darling D* is growing up.

Gosh...I cannot even imagine what it’d be like when she starts having guy friends, dating and all that. I understand now how my parents used to worry a lot about me and my sister. We had a strict upbringing. No boyfriends till we entered university!

I don’t know how we’ll be like when D* enters that phase of wanting to hang out with boys. With all the crime rate thats been going on nowadays, you just want to protect them from all evil. Scary la with all these news on rape and murder..... *****Trueblue thinking***** Thats it, she’s not dating till she’s 30!!! :)

Note (1): D* is 3 years plus
Note (2): Pacar=boyfriend