Sunday, December 04, 2005

Those Kodak moments

I admit I can be a clumsy person at times and tend to do/say silly things that would almost certainly lead to embarassing situations.

Don’t believe me? Well, let me share with you some embarrassing/funny moments in my life. Of course, knowing me, there must be loads but these are the few that I remember from the top of my head.


Lovey-Dovey SMS
This happened some time last year. I was in Kuantan with N* to conduct some interviews. The interview room was so bloody cold and we were shivering. I swear, I really had the urge to ask N* to hug me because I couldnt stand it. We practically had to go out of the building after each interview session just to warm our bodies. While waiting for the next interviewee to come, I decided to sms my beloved one and tell him about my cold experience. Well, at the time, I wanted to sound a bit ‘manja-manja’ la..so you can imagine how lovey-dovey the sms was. It went something like this.."Hi baby. I’m standing outside the building because the interview room is so cold. Me and N* cant stand it. I wish you were here to keep me warm..." And it goes on. Of course I have to censor some parts for the purpose of this story but you guys know what I mean right? ;).

Anyway, 2 hours later we were in the car and on the way back to KL. Something inside me felt that that I should check my ‘sent’ sms for the day. To my utter disbelief, I realised that I sent that lovey-dovey sms to someone else..some other guy..who’s married (remember that soulmate guy?)!!! I nearly had a heart attack. I mean, if it was some normal sms, I wouldn’t have felt so embarrassed..but thinking back about what I wrote, oh-my-god!!!! Malunya..... I was afraid his wife might have read the sms and thought I had something going on with her hubby. I quickly sent him an sms apologising for what happened. The weird thing was he didn’t reply..even the one I sent 2 hours earlier. I mean, any normal person would have replied "sorry, I think you got the wrong person" or kalau tak pun, they’ll reply "huh?".

Well, it didn’t end there. As usual, the ever clumsy me did it again. 2-3 months later, an sms that was supposed to be sent to the loved one was accidentally sent to him! Whats wrong with me? But still, he never replied.

I bumped into him a few months ago. Was considering to make a run for it but then thought I might as well face him. Throughout the conversation, not once did he mention about the sms and obviously I wasn’t gonna bring it up. Do you think he forgot about it ?

Lets hope he has but if he hasn’t...I can only say,..I’m so sorry, *Azman*. I won’t do it again.. Promise ;)


Everything came out!
This happened in 1993..the year when a bunch of us scholars were sent to UK for our A-Levels. It was a long flight for us..We took the SIA flight to Bangkok. Stopped there for a few hours then continued the journey to Zurich. There, we changed our plane to British Airways and ended our journey at Heathrow Airport, London. I think the total journey took about 23 hours.

The thing about me is that I can get sick when I travel.. be it by air, sea or car (especially the long journeys). In any journey I take, I must always have my ‘minyak cap kapak’ with me. It is truly my bestfriend and I don't think I could ever survive travelling without it.

Because of the looooong journey and the fact that its been a while since my last travel by plane, the sickness feeling was really bad. I hated plane food and looking at my friends enjoying their food made me sick. I envied them having fun chatting away. I didn't want to talk because I knew it would make me feel worse. So, I closed my eyes..smelled my ‘minyak cap kapak’ and forced myself to sleep.

The flight from Zurich to London wasn’t that long (maybe 2 hours or less, can’t remember..). I was sitting at the aisle, beside *Johan* . *Azmir* sat next to him. I didn’t know the guys that well during the orientation programme, so we took the opportunity to get to know each other better. Breakfast was served but thankfully the guys didn’t want to eat. *Suzie* who was sitting on the next row was really enjoying her scrambled eggs. The smell slowly got to my nostrils and I knew something bad was going to happen. I quickly grabbed my ‘minyak cap kapak’ and tried to calm myself down.

The plane slowly descended as we approached London. The lower the plane got, the more sick I felt. My body was shaking...I tried to control it by gripping tightly to the chair..The insides of my stomach was like a roller coaster...I could feel it slowly moving up and up towards my throat. I said to myself "I’m not gonna throw up...I’m not gonna throw up..". I tried to grab the paper bag but too late...as I was bending my body..suddenly.....*UH-OH*.. EVERYTHING CAME OUT!!!! And the worse thing was I aimed sideways and puked on *Johan’s* lap!!! It was so intense that some pieces of the vomit also landed on *Azmir*. *Johan* had a horrifying look. Can you just imagine how embarassing it was to puke on 2 guys???!!!! And I was just about to get to know them.... The only thing I could say was "I’m sorry..I’m sorry...". After that it was kecoh la..The stewardess came running to our seats and asked what the commotion was about. When she saw my 'u-know-what', she had the shock of her life. I quickly went to the toilet to change my clothes. I was too embarassed to come out. The stewardess kept banging on the door and said "Miss..Miss..you have to come out..we’re landing soon!". So, I really had no choice. Back at my seat, I saw that *Johan’s* chair was covered with a blanket. *Azmir* told me that they sent *Johan* to sit at Business Class. So, I guess it turned out to be a good thing for him..At least merasa jugakla dia duduk Business Class...Hehehe...

Until now, I’ve often wondered whether the guys remember what happened. For me, its an experience I certainly can never forget. I’m so sorry guys.................


Please don’t smell it...
Ok...this is a continuation of the puking incident on the plane. Since I also vomitted on my suit, I had to find a place to dry clean it. The Officer in charge of us brought me to one of the laundry places in Edgware Road. The laundrette guy (an Arab) wanted to know what was on the suit. We tried to explain that it was vomit but maybe due to his poor English, he couldn’t understand what we were talking about. He kept pointing to the suit and asked "What? What?". We even had to act out what vomit meant. After about 5 minutes, he gave up and wanted to smell the suit. I panicked and started waving my hands frantically in the air.."No...No...Don't smell it!!!!!". But too late....He gave a quick sniff and had a confused look as if trying to figure out what it was. I was so embarrased...looked at my Officer, macam nak mintak simpati. He just burst out laughing! I couldn’t help but laugh too....The laundrette guy got even more confused :)


Drip..drip...down my chin..
This happened early last year. I was involved in this project and one of the assignments was to conduct interviews with our clients. That particular day, my manager and I had to interview an MD/CEO of one of the subsidiaries. The interview went really well. I was rather proud of myself because I managed to get valuable insights from him. I showed confidence and he seemed pleased to answer my questions. When the interview ended, we started chatting about normal stuff..trying to soften the mood. Coffee was served and he invited us to drink it. I was already in a happy mood..thought that I successfully passed the first impression test. But...all good things must come to an end, right?

I lifted the cup and slowly moved it towards my mouth. But somehow or rather, I missed the target. The cup landed on my chin instead and as I tried to tilt it, the coffee came dripping down my chin and on to the table. For a few seconds, I was just stunned! My manager was trying hard not to laugh. I looked at the CEO and he said "Oh My God..Are you ok? Let me get you a tissue". He was running around the room trying to look for the tissue box. I just couldn’t believe how clumsy I was..and worse, in front of an MD/CEO??!!! It doesn’t really matter how great the interview went. He’s just gonna remember the last few minutes of the session. So much for trying to give a good impression, huh?


Those dreamy blue eyes
This happened during A-Levels in 1994. One of the subjects I took was Business Studies. Our teacher was Mr *GSB*. He was this really sweet guy, funny, nice , had these dreamy blue eyes and of course many girls had a crush on him. Not to perasan la but I think he was rather fond of me and *Aleya* because compared to our other British classmates, we were the most well-behaved students and the goody two shoes in class. We also had a crush on him and I remember bumping into him after school and we would go.."cutenya..cutenya..".

We had 10 minutes to spare during a lesson one day. He didn’t want to let us go and asked us to quietly read our text book. I wasn’t in the mood to read and started to daydream. Mr *GSB* was busy marking some papers. I stared at him for about 5 minutes...smiling to myself..and thinking how cute he was. For whatever reason..as if he knew I was looking at him, he started to lift his head and looked directly at me. Kantoi big time punya!!!! I panicked and could feel my face turning red. I immediately looked down and pretended as if I was looking for something under my desk. When I looked back at him, he just smiled and winked at me. There was nothing else I could do but just give him the biggest grin... :) Oh! The humiliation..................